Chiropractors work with the body’s ability to adapt and function the way it is designed to. Chiropractic care in pregnancy is vital to the normal physiological function in pregnancy and birth. Here are the potential benefits:
In the mother:
- Reduces interference to the mother’s vital nerve system which controls and co-ordinates all of her systems and functions.
- Prepares the pelvis for an easier pregnancy and birth by creating a state of balance in pelvic bony structures, muscles and ligaments.
- Removes tension in the ligaments that support the uterus thus potentially reducing aberrant tension to the woman’s uterus.
- By improving maternal function we are decreasing the potential for unnecessary intervention.
In the baby:
- Reduces interference to the mother’s nerve system allowing for better baby development.
- Pelvic balance allows the baby greater room to develop without restrictions to its forming cranium, spine and other skeletal structures.
- Offers the baby the room to move into the best possible position for birth.
- With proper fetal positioning, there is a significant decrease in dystocia and the resulting birth trauma caused by intervention.
Webster’s Technique: The Webster technique is a chiropractic analysis and gentle adjustment of the sacrum. As with all chiropractic adjustments, our intent is to improve the nervous system so the body can function better. As with all sacral adjustments, pelvic balance is improved. A balanced pelvis reduces undue tension in the attached muscles and ligaments.
In pregnant women, if the pelvis is not balanced, the uneven pulling on these muscles and ligaments may be restricting the baby’s ability to get into the best possible position for birth.
Although most frequently used with pregnant women, this analysis and adjustment can be used on anyone!